[BioC] Very low P-values in limma

Mayer, Claus-Dieter c.mayer at abdn.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 17:25:47 CEST 2009

Dear Paul!

What is the corfit$consensus value? If it is close to 1, using limma with duplicateCorrelation or averaging (or indeed just using any of the duplicates) should give you very similar results.
If however corfit$consensus is close to 0, limma would indeed treat the duplicates similar to independent replicates. Obviously a corfit$consensus value close to 0 would be quite worrying as that would indicate a very high technical variability (or some subtle mistake in your code). Anyway, checking that value might help to solve the puzzle.

Claus