[BioC] classification method applied to microarrays (CMA package)

Stephen Henderson to.stephen.henderson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 12:59:24 CET 2009

The svm is a reasonable classifier that performs OK on microarray data
and usually requires no tuning of parameters (usually)-- although many
others do too.

In order to understand the GeneSelection method you need to understand
cross validation (this occurs within the classification function). The
cross validation is estimating the classification error by splitting
the data into many training and test set combinations. The model --
your svm is built on the training set-- and then tested against the
test set to see how many errors of classification are made.

If you choose GeneSelection (which you probably should) then the data
is reduced to a subset of features/genes based on a simple stat.
However not only one set of genes will be selected-- but genes for
every training set in the cross validation. Otherwise the likely svm
misclassification error would be an overestimate.

So when you use the toplist function on your GeneSelection object you
will find that there are a number of feature lists none exactly the
same. The 'informative' genes are those that occur most frequently in
the toplists. You can examine the GeneSelection toplist before you run
the classification function-- but obviously you will want to run the
classification function to check that the features are indeed
'informative'.

You can use the GeneSelection method that gives the least cross-
validation error. I'd start with limma but if there is a reasonable
separation of classes then they should work similarly.

jeez I hope that is clear....

Stephen Henderson
UCL