[BioC] Very low P-values in limma

Olga Vitek ovitek at stat.purdue.edu
Thu Oct 29 13:13:56 CET 2009

Dear Paul,

to see what's going on, it may be helpful to step away from Limma for
a moment, and think of a case-control experiment with one array per
subject in the context of standard mixed-effects ANOVA. The model for
a gene will look like that:

log(intensity) = GrandMean + Group{Fixed} + Array(Group){Random,
confounded with Subject} + replicate(Array){Random}

With this model, you test the difference between the groups against
the variation between arrays. In the special case of balanced design
(i.e. an equal number of arrays per group, and an equal number of
replicates per array), this test only involves averages of replicates
in each array. In other words, using this model will be equivalent to
using the model

log(averageIntensityOverReplicates) = GrandMean + Group{Fixed} +
Array(Group){Random, confounded with Subject}

after averaging the spots on an array. However the models are not
equivalent if your design is unbalanced or if you have missing values.

The difficulty with the ANOVA is that, when you have a small number of
arrays (=subjects) per group, the variance of Array(Group) is not
estimated reliably in a single gene. In Limma, Gordon took a different
approach, and estimated the variance of Array(Group) prior to fitting
the model, using the information across all genes. The advantage is
that the estimator uses more data, and is therefore more reliable. The
disadvantages are that (1) it makes the assumption of a same variance
of Array(Group) in all genes, and (2) the subsequent model fit assumes
that this variance is known, and not estimated from the same data.

Therefore, I second Gordon's opinion: if you have enough arrays per
group and a balanced design, than averaging is appropriate. If you
have few arras but many technical replicates, estimating this variance
using the duplicateCorrelation() may work best.

And one more comment: although it is true that in many cases we want
to make inference about populations (e.g. patients) from a random
sample of individuals, this is not always the case. Experiments with a
small number of subjects may not contain enough information about the
underlying population. In this case one may want to restrict the
inference to gene expressions in these specific subjects, and only
account for technical variation in the microarray measurements. This
translates into the ANOVA model

log(intensity) = GrandMean + Group{Fixed} + Array(Group){Fixed,
confounded with Subject} + replicate(Array){Random}

In Limma, this will amount to adding "Array" as an extra model term,
and skipping duplicateCorrelation().

Best regards
Olga Vitek
Assistant Professor