[BioC] regarding package ArrayExpress

Misha Kapushesky ostolop at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Sep 10 15:14:28 CEST 2009

Hi,

Without tweaking read.table, you'd have to read row names as one of the
data columns, then make.names on that set of names and set the row names
to the modified ones. So, something like

d <- read.table("foo.tab") ## if read.table("foo.tab", row.names=1) fails

rownames(d) <- make.names(d[,1], unique=TRUE)

d <- d[,-1]                ## to remove the column used

Whether these newly made "unique" row names are what you need is a good
question... :)

--Misha