[BioC] Error with unique

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 6 05:01:59 CEST 2010

On 04/05/2010 07:23 PM, Erik Wright wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Here is a simple function that creates the problem:
> doUnique <- function(myDNAStringSet) {
> 	myDNAStringSet <- unique(myDNAStringSet)
> }
>
> Here is the output in the R Console:
>> doUnique(myDNAStringSet)
> Error in unique.default(myDNAStringSet) :
>   unique() applies only to vectors

Likely it is a NAMESPACE issue. Either doUnique is defined in
GoneFISHing but the NAMESPACE of GoneFISHing does not have

  importFrom(Biostrings, unique)

or GoneFISHing defines and/or exports its own unique that masks the one
exported by  Biostrings. If these were packages written by people who
didn't talk with one another then you could specify

  Biostrings::unique(myDNAStringSet)

but likely the solution is to develop an appropriate NAMESPACE in
GoneFISHing. The codetoolsBioC package at

  https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/codetoolsBioC

accessible using svn, see

  http://wiki.fhcrc.org/bioc/SvnHowTo

might be helpful.