[BioC] Error GO.db package "term is not member of any ontology"

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Apr 9 19:18:20 CEST 2010

Hi Ana,

Ana Conesa wrote:
>  Dear Jim and Vicent,
>
> Yes, I guess this is the thing. I was wondering if there was a more up-to-date
> GO.db package...
> If case you find it interesting, I found around 200 terms not present in the
> current GO.db... (see attached)

It's not particularly interesting, since it is expected. As Martin
Morgan notes in another email, this particular GO term (and likely most
if not all 200 that you found) are available in the newest version of
the GO.db package.

We have to tread a fine line between reproducibility and being
up-to-date. If we are constantly updating packages, then it is
impossible for our end users to get consistent results, as the
underlying data are constantly in a state of flux. On the other hand, if
we never update things, then we simply push data that is completely
outdated and fairly useless.

As a compromise, we update all our annotation packages every six months,
along with the release of the new version of Bioconductor. We feel this
is a good compromise between reproducibility and currentness of data. If
an end user wants to completely reproduce earlier results, she can
simply use the version of BioC that was used to generate those earlier
results. If on the other hand, she wants the most current results, those
can be obtained using the most current release.

However, as you have found, near the release date the current data
packages start to show their age (and we will be releasing the new
version of BioC in just a few weeks).

Best,

Jim

James W. MacDonald, M.S.