[BioC] rsbml: which libsbml version? (fwd)

Rainer Machne raim at tbi.univie.ac.at
Tue Feb 9 19:26:42 CET 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Stephane Schicklin wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm not using your library but I think your problem is different to a version
> problem. If your libSBML is correctly installed, I advise you to search on
> your system where really is the shared object "rsbml.so", then you'll have to
> correct the path environment of R to have a correct load.
> ideas : is your system/R really 64 bits ? Look at
> '/usr/lib*32*/R/library/rsbml/libs/rsbml.so' to see if your library is
> compiled for 32 and not for 64 bits system...

Hi Stephane,
(sorry for the multiple emails, forgot the list in the first email)

thanks, but no, i think everything is 64bit and other libs are lying at the
same location as rsbml. I found a potential source of the problem, though. I
have a local installation of libsbml which I use outside of R. Even though the
local installation is in my PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables,
biocLite('rsbml') didn't find the headers and I didn't find out how to pass the
local libsbml path to the biocLite installation scripts (? btw).

Thus i asked the sysadmin for a global libsbml installation. Installation of
rsbml then worked fine, but ldd shows that the rsbml.so file then actually
links to the local version:

merlin ~> ldd /usr/lib64/R/library/rsbml/libs/rsbml.so
libsbml.so => /MYLOCALLIBS/lib/libsbml.so

So, it seems to be a version conflict, which I often had with libsbml local vs.
global installations. i should have though of ldd'ing the libs first.

I guess, I can try to remove the local installation temporarily from the path
variables during rsbml installation to force it to use the global libsbml
version, OR I could set the respective compilation flags via biocLite,if i find
out how exactly (some tries with configure.args didn't work yet). I'll try
tomorrow :)

Thanks,
Rainer