[BioC] limma and Rank Products: comparison of the number of results

Juan Carlos Oliveros oliveros at cnb.csic.es
Wed Feb 17 15:10:49 CET 2010

Dear all

When working with comparative experiment based on Affymetrix gene
expression arrays I usually apply one of the following combination of
methods:

RMA + limma + FDR

or

RMA+ Rank Products
(rank products "Percentage of false prediction" values are supposed to
be equivalent to FDR)

Usually we obtain much more differentially expressed genes when using
Rank Products than when using limma at the same FDR threshold.

I wonder if in your case is the same. Do you obtain many more results
with Rank Products than with limma at the same FDR cutoff?

In a recent experiment we obtained the opposite (more results with
limma) and I'd like to know your experience when using both methods
regarding the number of results.

best,

Juan Carlos Oliveros, Ph.D.
CNB-CSIC, Madrid, Spain