[BioC] limma and Rank Products: comparison of the number of results

Thomas Hampton thomas.h.hampton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:15:15 CET 2010

I have used rank products ad limma head to head many times, so I think
I understand your question.

I can imagine scenarios where limma would provide a longer list, but I
have not observed it myself.

It is in many ways amazing that the two tests generate similar lists
at all, given the enormous
difference in the way they go about selecting genes. Limma "cares"
quite a lot about within
group variation, and can select genes with very small between group
differences as significant
as long as within group variation is sufficiently small.  Genes with
smaller p values appear at the
head of the list in limma, where genes with the largest fold
differences appear at the head of
a RankProd list. The net of all this is that I believe you will find
that the two lists are not only different
in length, but quite different in order. So whether "false prediction
rates" and "false discovery rates" are
arguably similar or not, the two tests make rather different
assumptions which will ultimately drive the two
estimates apart. I generally feel that "longer is better" when it
comes to gene lists, especially for pathway
analysis, but I generally require a difference of 1.4 fold between
conditions before I get enthusiastic.

Best,

Tom