[BioC] Error messages from eBayes()(limma)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Fri Jan 15 15:15:26 CET 2010

Hi Juan,

Juan Lin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> 1.       I am working on a microarray dataset. The array platform is
> GeneChip Mouse Gene 1.0 ST Array. The experiment design is very straight
> forward: two groups comparison--control vs. treatment, with three chips in
> each group.
>
> 2.
>
> 3.       Below is my code:
>
>> library(limma)
>
>> TS<-c("Control","Control","Control","Trt","Trt","Trt")
>
>> TS<-factor(TS,levels=c("Control","Trt"))
>
>> design<-model.matrix(~0+TS)
>
>> colnames(design)<-levels(TS)
>
>> fit<-lmFit(intensity,design)
>
>> contrast.matrix<-makeContrasts(TrtvsControl=Trt-Control,levels=design)
>
>> fit2<-contrasts.fit(fit,contrast.matrix)
>

> Everything was going well before I tried to use the eBayes function. I got
> the following error:
>

>> fit2<-eBayes(fit2)
>
> Warning message:
>
> In ebayes(fit = fit, proportion = proportion, stdev.coef.lim =
> stdev.coef.lim) :
>
>   Estimation of var.prior failed - set to default value

That's not an error. It's a warning stating that the prior variance
estimate couldn't be estimated, so you are using the default value.

In other words, the function ran, and gave you results, but one of the
parameters that is usually estimated from the data was not estimable, so
you used a default value.

In contrast, an error would result in the function halting without
returning anything, possibly followed by a big grinding noise, smoke and
sparks. Or is that just my computer? ;-D

Best,

Jim

> Anybody has idea about the reason for the error? I tried looking up the
> bioconductor archives, but couldn't find any reply that could help solve my
> problem.
>
> I am using R.2.10.1.
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
> i386-pc-mingw32
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] limma_3.2.1

> [1] tools_2.10.1
>

> Many thanks!
>
> Juan
>

> -----------------------------
>
> Juan Lin
>
> Faculty Associate
>
> Department of Epidemiology and Population Health
>
> Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician