[BioC] Biostrings - size limits

Erik Wright eswright at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 24 15:24:23 CEST 2010

Hello,

What limits the number of sequences and size of sequences that are part of a DNAStringSet?  Are there any way to change these limits?

On my home laptop I can create a DNAStringSet of about sixty thousand sequences of length 1500.  On my desktop I can only make a DNAStringSet of twenty thousand sequences.  Does anyone know what is creating this difference is maximum size?

Is there any way I can "up" the amount of memory available to a sequence set?  I would like to be able to have at least one hundred thousand sequences (of width 1500 nucleotides) in memory.

Thanks!,
Erik

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages: