[BioC] package RMySQL

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jun 24 16:23:39 CEST 2010

Hi Leila,

l.mohammadikhankahdani wrote:
> Hi ALL
> has anyone recently installed the package RMySQL?
> I found the zip file and installed it and it was successful, but then
> the library gives error:
>
>  > utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
>  > library(RMySQL)
> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'RMySQL', details:
>   call: utils::readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\MySQL AB", hive = "HLM", maxdepth
> = 2)
>   error: Registry key 'SOFTWARE\MySQL AB' not found
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'
>  >

> I don't what to do about it. can anyone please help me.

First off, RMySQL isn't a Bioconductor package, so this question is
better asked on R-help.

Secondly, the background you give is woefully inadequate. Remember in
the future to let people know what OS you are using, and the results of
sessionInfo() so we know what versions of packages you are using as
well. I can tell you are on Windows based on the readRegistry call
above, but you shouldn't rely upon the abilities of people to divine
these things.

So to your question. The RMySQL package uses MySQL to do things, so you
need to have MySQL installed as well. If you are going to use the
Windows binary, then the version of MySQL that you install has to match
the version that RMySQL was built against.

Reasonable instructions can be found here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/RMySQL

Which you could have found by, say, googling RMySQL. When working with
open source packages, it is well worth your time to become capable of
figuring things out yourself. The helpers on the various lists are very
good, but you will only get so far relying on others to show you the way.

Personally, I prefer to build from sources so I am not always having to
find the correct version of MySQL for a given version of RMySQL. This
may involve more work than using the binary, but as with all things
there are pluses and minuses. If interested, the instructions I have
posted for myself can be found here:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jmacdon/rmysql_winbuild.htm

Best,

Jim