[BioC] 64-bit R - problem with affxparser

Kasper Daniel Hansen khansen at jhsph.edu
Tue Mar 23 04:20:00 CET 2010

I was not aware of the discussion on the aroma.affymetrix group.  And
I was furthermore not aware of the fact that affxparser fails to build
at the moment (I thought we had automatic notification of this -
perhaps there is some issue with my spam filter?)  For another time,
it is usually productive to contact the maintainer :)

As far as I can see the Bioconductor build the OP is referring to is
still using mingw32, which means that the build issue should be
completely unrelated to 64 bit windows (or the information at
  http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.6/bioc-LATEST/liverpool-NodeInfo.html
is outdated).

I would expect affxparser to build with mingw64.  Or at least we
managed to build it (version 1.19.6 to be specific) under some version
of the toolchain (at that point the toolchain changed often I think)
with help from Prof. Ripley.  The toolchain has now stabilized and I
am in the process of getting a 64bit Windows 7 up and running so I can
make sure affxparser (and Rgraphviz - although initial results
indicate that Rgraphviz will be a pain) will work on this platform.

That leaves the issue of why affxparser does not build on the
Bioconductor build servers.  I will look into this over the coming
days, but it will be much easier when I actually have a windows box to
test on.

Finally, in general I suggest that people who want to use 64 bit
Windows arm themselves with some patience.  This is a new platform and
it is only very recently that the R windows team settled on which
compiler they (probably) will use and mingw64 is still somewhat
experimental (as I understand).  To top it off, not everyone has a 64
bit windows box lying around for testing, so it will still take a
while for things to be "normal".

Kasper