[BioC] R/Maanova Tutorial

Dejian Zhao zhaodj at ioz.ac.cn
Tue Mar 23 05:12:55 CET 2010

 Thank you for your responses, Ricardo and Juan Pedro. You have proposed
some evidence for the alphabetical order, but I think they are not
direct proofs. I am thinking this question may be solved by reading the
source codes of the functions.

The fitting to the model occurs in the function fitannova(), in which
the model is constructed by makeModel(), in which parseformula() is
employed to interprete the input formula. In parseformula(), I feel a
bit lost. I am not sure which is the next function to be traced. I chose
terms() finally. However, it turns out to be a generic function, and it
provides methods for "formula" and directs me further to
terms.formula(), whose parameter keep.order is FALSE by default. In
source code of terms.formula(), one line is "terms <-
.Internal(terms.formula(x, specials, data, keep.order,
allowDotAsName))", in which x is a formula, and keep.order should be
FALSE by inheritance. But I don't know where to go next.

During this process, the information is mainly from the source codes
(type function without parenthesis and enter to see the source codes)
and the help files (?function) of the involved functions. I don't know
whether I stray from the right way during the tracing process. Hope
someone can trace to the origin and find out the exact answer.

During the tracing process, I encounter a function called
terms.formula(), who has a parameter keep.order = FALSE by default. The
help file (?terms.formula) says keep.order is a logical value indicating
whether the terms should keep their positions. If FALSE the terms are
reordered so that main effects come first, followed by the interactions,
all second-order, all third-order and so on. Effects of a given order
are kept in the order specified. It does not depict what will happen if
there is only one term and what will happen to the levels of the term
(as in the R/Maanova tutorial). I guess it may be sorted by alphabetial
order, ASSIC code order, or the order they appear in the term. I think
it is necessary to know exactly how it is ordered.

Hope this helps.
Dejian