[BioC] help: limma and changing gene results!

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed May 19 15:39:24 CEST 2010

Hi Koen,

Koen Marien wrote:
>>>>> Dear Jim and others who can help

If possible, it is preferable for your response to _not_ be preceded by
rather than being the current portion of the email.

> Koen Marien wrote:
>> Thanks for the clear and fast reply, Jim. Indeed a-(b+c+d) isn't a
> contrast,
>> but I think I'm having a different problem. Here is the experiment shortly
>> explained:
>
> Yes, but... a-(b+c+d) doesn't make any sense. Why would you do such a
> thing? Let's say the mean of all four samples for a given gene is
> identical (I dunno, say 5).
> Any of a-b, a-c, a-d will be zero, whereas a-(b+c+d) is -10. So what
> does that tell us, in a biological sense?

> identify surface markers. So I need upregulated genes in the 'a' population

OK, fine. But you seem to be missing the fact that we are just doing
simple math here. If you want to compare the 'a' population to b-d, then
the only reasonable way to do that is to use the mean of the b-d
populations. That is why I say you aren't doing a contrast. For a
comparison to be a contrast, the coefficients have to sum to zero, so
what you want is a - (b + c + d)/3.

>> I have four populations of cells with three biological replicates for each
>> population -> a1,a2,a3,b1,b2,b3,c1,c2,c3,d1,d2,d3. I normalized them and
>> looked at the differentially expressed genes between the 'a' population
> and
>> each of those other populations individually: a-b, a-c, a-d. The venn
>> approach is done with the online web application Venny and only looks at
> the
>> common probe set ID's in the three lists (let's call it the 'one-on-one
>> strategy').
>> I also looked at the differentially expressed genes when b, c and d values
>> where put together: a-e with e=b+c+d (let's call it the 'group strategy').
>> So it's not really the contrasts that are changed.
>
> How are the contrasts not changed? You are comparing a contrast with a
> not-a-contrast that doesn't even make sense. That there will be
> differences is a forgone conclusion.

> 'group2-group1')
> differentially expressed genes with the online Venny-tool
> (http://bioinfogp.cnb.csic.es/tools/venny/index.html). So e.g. group1 = 'a'
> population (always) and group 2 = 'b' or 'c' or 'd' (I ran the code three

> the 'a' files by appointing them to population '1' and the 'b','c','d' files
> by
> group2 = 'b'+'c'+'d'

Right. And that is what doesn't make sense. You can set group 2 to be
(b+c+d)/3, and then compare that to a. This is similar to individually
comparing b, c, and d to a, except you are 'smoothing' the values for
the offspring samples by taking the mean, so you will likely still get
differences, depending on the underlying data.

> Which approach gives me the best results when I look for specifically

Which approach is 'best' depends on the hypothesis you are trying to
test. And it may still be impossible to say which is best, which is a
fairly imprecise term. In my opinion it is more defensible to describe
the analysis in terms of the hypothesis being tested, and why the
particular model or contrast you used answers the underlying question.

Best,

Jim

> your patience, Koen
>

> Best,
>
> Jim
>

>> Now, when looking at the one-on-one strategy list there are only five
> genes
>> common in the three groups with a B-value > 2, while in the group strategy
>> there are 181 probe sets with a B-value > 2.
>>
>> Relevent code used:
>> read all the cell files (a,b,c,d)
>>
> pd<-data.frame(population=c(rep(1,3),rep(2,8)),replicate=c(seq(1,3),seq(1,8)
>> )) => group strategy
>> or
>> only read the .cel files of two populations (a,b or a,c or a,d)
>>
> pd<-data.frame(population=c(rep(1,3),rep(2,3)),replicate=c(seq(1,3),seq(1,3)
>> )) => one-on-one strategy (repeated three times for each comparison)
>>
>> group<-factor(eset$population)
>> design = model.matrix(~0+group)
>> design
>> cont.matrix = makeContrasts(eset = (group2 - group1), levels = design)
>> cont.matrix
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Koen

>>> group (b+c+d) and using limma