[BioC] RdbiPgSQL installation trouble

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 1 15:30:12 CEST 2010

On 09/30/2010 08:54 PM, Tena Sakai wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am having a problem installing RdbiPgSQL on Centos 5.5 machine,
> running on Dell hardware.  The version of R I am using is 2.11.1 and
> Postgres  version is 8.4.4.
>
> I have set the following environment variables:
>   PGHOST=dasher
>   PG_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>   PG_INCLUDE_DIR=//usr/local/pgsql/include
> and ran two commands below from R:
>   source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
>   biocLite("RdbiPgSQL")
>
> What happens is:
>   Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>     unable to load shared library '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/RdbiPgSQL/libs/RdbiPgSQL.so':
>     libpq.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>   ERROR: loading failed
>
> Would someone please give me some idea how to get this corrected?

Hi Tena --

This is likely a system configuration issue, e.g., a Windows PATH
environment variable is not set correctly, or the Linux ldconfig program
or LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is incorrect. Set these so that
libpq.so.5 is available to R, e.g.,, /sbin/ldconfig -p |grep libpq
returns something sensible.

This package

  http://cran.fhcrc.org/web/packages/RPostgreSQL/index.html

is more recent and actively maintained, if you're looking for a Postgres
client.

Martin