[BioC] help in downloading some packages.

Michael Dondrup Michael.Dondrup at uni.no
Thu Oct 7 14:30:46 CEST 2010

[snip]
> * Installing *source* package 'XML' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for sed... /bin/sed
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> checking for xml2-config... no
> Cannot find xml2-config
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'XML'
> ** Removing '/home/veerendra/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.8/XML'
> * Installing *source* package 'AnnotationDbi' ...

^this
you cannot install package XML which is a dependency of other packages, because you need libxml2
I guess you are using red-hat, centos or smth, you didn't give the sessionInfo().
Install libxml2 and libxml2-devel using your package manager, aka.:
# yum install libxml2 libxml2-devel
or apt-get install ^^ on debian