[BioC] HTqPCR : readCtData problem?

Heidi Dvinge heidi at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 19:44:55 CEST 2010

Hello Steve,

thanks for sending me the file, I've just tried playing with it.

ndups is indeed for technical replicates, so you don't need that here.
Apparently there's a bug hiding somewhere. The results look correct so the
biological replicates are actually taken into account, but the entire
output is repeated 3 times. Hence, each feature (miRNA in your case) is
present 3 times, with identical t and p-values. This is the case even if
the design file is manipulated to contain 2 replicates of each sample
instead of 3. I.e. limmaCtData does not report an individual result for
each biological replicate, but does consider them jointly as you would
want.

I'll try to figure our why/when this happens, but in the meantime you can
just ignore the duplication of the results. Sorry for the hassle this
might cause you.

It never ceases to amaze me what bugs I somehow manage to introduce into
my code :)

Just for my debugging purposes, how do you read in all 8 files containing
your 24 samples? Do you run readCtData(files=c("file1", ..., "file8"),
...) with 3 samples in each file => qPCRset object with 384x24
rows/columns? Or do you read each file into a separate qPCRset object => 8
qPCRset objects with 384x3 rows/columns and then combine them with
cbind()?

HTH
\Heidi