[BioC] retrieve genes names after KEGG hypergeometric test

Mike Walter michael_walter at email.de
Fri Oct 29 14:23:00 CEST 2010

Hi Clémentine,

I don't know, if such a function exists. I use two little helper functions to retrieve probe IDs or gene symbols of genes in a genelist, that are associated with a KEGG ID:

KEGG2genes = function(KEGGID, genelist, db){
 require(paste(db, "db", sep="."), character.only = TRUE)
 l = vector("list")
 for (i in 1:length(KEGGID)){
 kegg = as.matrix(unlist(mget(KEGGID[i], get(paste(db, "PATH2PROBE", sep="")), ifnotfound=NA)))
 l[[i]] = genelist[is.element(genelist,kegg[,1])]
 }
names(l)=KEGGID
}

KEGG2symbol = function(KEGGID, genelist, db){
 l = vector("list")
 for (i in 1:length(KEGGID)){
 id = unlist(KEGG2genes(KEGGID=KEGGID[i], genelist=genelist, db=db))
 l[[i]] = as.matrix(mget(id, get(paste(db, "SYMBOL", sep="")), ifnotfound=NA))
 }
 names(l)=KEGGID
}

where "KEGGID" is a character vector of your KEGGID(s) you are interested in, "genelist" is a character vector containing the probe IDs/probeset IDs of your genelist you used to create the KEGGHyperGResult and "db" is a character vector with the annotation database for your array without the .db extension (e.g. db="hgu133plus" for the affy U133+ 2.0 array). As a result you get a matrix containing the probeIDs and genesymbols for each KEGGID stored in a list. It might not be the most elegant way, but it works.

Kind regards,

Mike