[BioC] Using DESeq or EdgeR for Exon Differential Expression Analysis

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Fri Apr 1 11:57:43 CEST 2011

Hi Andrew

On 03/31/2011 08:18 PM, adeonari at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk wrote:
> We were wondering if it would be possible to perform differential
> expression analysis of exon expression using DESeq or EdgeR. Would the
> statistical assumptions be the same, and has anyone attempted this type of
> analysis? Any feedback or insights would be really appreciated!

As others already remarked: You can simply consider each exon as an
individual unit and study it independently from the other exons in the
gene. If a gene is differentially expressed, you should see a
significant change for all those of its exons that are long enough to
have attracted enough counts to achieve significance. However, if you
want to see alternative splicing regulation, this might not help to
much, as you will need to tease apart the changes in overall gene
expression from those that are only affecting the exon under
consideration. We are currently working on such a method.

   Simon