[BioC] limma

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Thu Apr 7 12:07:05 CEST 2011

Hi Gordon

> .... "limma ensures that all probes are
> assigned at least a minimum non-zero expression level on all arrays, in
> order to minimize the variability of log-intensities for lowly expressed
> probes. Probes that are expressed in one condition but not other will be
> assigned a large fold change for which the denominator is the minimum
> expression level. This approach has the advantage that genes can be
> ranked by fold change in a meaningful way, because genes with larger
> expression expression changes will always be assigned a larger fold
> change."

I am not sure I follow:

(i)  (20 + 16) / (10 + 16)   <   (15000 + 16) / (10000 + 16)

but

(ii)     20    /     10      >        15000   / 10000

You assume that measurements of 20 and 10 are less reliable (or perhaps
biologically less important?) than measurements of 20000 and 10000, thus
that ranking (i) should be used - but that depends on an error model
(which you encode in the pseudocount parameter '16') and a subjective
trade-off between precision and effect size.

I agree with you that the approach is useful, and also that it is good
to provide a very simple recipe for people that either cannot deal with
or do not care about the quantitative details. Still, this post is for
the people that do :)

Cheers
	Wolfgang