[BioC] Are bioconductor packages designed for enrichment analysis affected by KEGG privatization ?

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 3 21:17:46 CEST 2011

Hi Radhouane,

The loss of KEGG is a real bummer for the community, but there are other
resources on the horizon and some that are already available.  You can
for example check out the reactome.db package (contributed by Willem
Ligtenberg) and note that it has a lot of the same kinds of information
as the KEGG.db package has traditionally had.  And software packages
like GOstats can just be enhanced to work with new  resources as they
come online, and in the meantime they will still work with older
packages based on the older snapshots from when KEGG was still freely
available.

So in short, life goes on.  With or without KEGG, there will continue to
be many great ways to do pathway analysis for the simple reason that
there is still a community of bright people like yourself who are
interested in those questions.

   Marc