[BioC] mRNA-seq cross-species analysis, is it possible?

Davis McCarthy davismcc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 07:58:25 CEST 2011

Hi Mali

> So if I understand correctly, after I add the offset to the DGEList, I continue with estimating common dispersion (so skipping the calcNormFactors step).

Yes, that is correct. If you add your own offset to the DGEList then
the normalization factors computed by calcNormFactors are not used.
(d$offset is always used, when not NULL, ahead of
d$samples$norm.factors for the offset in the software). Once you've
added the offsets to the DGEList object your proceed with dispersion
estimation and DE testing as usual.

> And if so, would you suggest to do quantile normalization after adjusting the read counts to gene length, and before estimating the common dispersion?

Quantile normalization (which could itself account for gene lengths)
may or may not be a sensible thing to do depending on your particular
experiment and data. I can't really advise sensibly on whether you
should or shouldn't do it. You can always try and see if it makes any
sense for your dataset.

Whatever normalization you do, it must be done before estimating the
common dispersion or carrying out any further downstream inference on
DE.

Best wishes

Davis