[BioC] views on Rle using GRanges object

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Aug 17 01:55:00 CEST 2011

Michael,

On 11-08-16 10:52 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:

> [...]
>                 # [3]     chrB   [5, 10]      * |          g3
>                 #
>                 # seqlengths
>                 #  chrB chrC
>                 #    NA   NA
>
>                 ## can't use GRanges directly
>                 Views( myRleList, myRegions)
>                 # Error in RleViewsList(rleList = subject, rangesList =
>                 start) :
>                 # 'rangesList' must be a RangesList object
>
>                 ## can't use a simple coercion
>                 Views( myRleList, as(myRegions,"RangesList") )
>                 # Error in .Method(..., FUN = FUN, MoreArgs = MoreArgs,
>                 SIMPLIFY =
>                 SIMPLIFY,  :
>                 #   all object lengths must be multiple of longest
>                 object length
>
>                 ### although I can use that coercion if I first give the
>                 GRanges object
>                 the same levels as the RleList to force the lists to
>                 have the same names as
>                 each other:
>                 seqlevels(myRegions)<- names(myRleList)
>                 viewMeans(Views( myRleList, as(myRegions,"RangesList") ) )
>                 # SimpleNumericList of length 3
>                 # [["chrA"]] numeric(0)
>                 # [["chrB"]] 1 1
>                 # [["chrC"]] 0.5
>

>             These two lines seem pretty concise to me. It makes sense to
>             layer a
>             RangesList on top of an RleList. Storing the result would of
>             course be
>             easier if you had sorted the GRanges by the seqlevels.
>             Having a utility for
>             that would be nice (orderBySeqlevels?). It would also be
>             easy with
>             RangedData, which enforces ordering by space.
>

>         Just to clarify, here is how the function would work:
>
>         values(myRegions)$meanCov[__orderBySeqlevels(myRegions)]<-
>         unlist(viewMeans(Views( myRleList, as(myRegions,"RangesList") ) ),
>         use.names=FALSE)
>
>         So 'orderBySeqlevels' would be a nice bridge back into the flat
>         GRanges
>         world from the Listy world of IRanges.
>

>     Well I'm just remembering now that we still don't have an "order"
>     method for GRanges objects like we do for IRanges object. The "natural"
>     order for a GRanges object would be to order first by (a) seqlevel,
>     (b) then by strand, (c) then by start, (d) and finally by end.
>
>     We already do (c) and (d) for IRanges.
>
>     Also the "reduce" method for GRanges already uses this "natural"
>     order implicitly.
>
>     So we will add this "order" method and the other basic order-related
>     methods (sort, >=, <=, ==, !=, unique, duplicated, they are all
>     missing) for GRanges objects. That will cover Janet's use case and
>     other user cases (I think someone asked how to find duplicated in
>     a GRanges object a while ago on this list).
>

> An "order" method would be great. Note though that the coercion to
> RangesList only sorts by seqlevels, so we would need something that gave
> out that order vector. The point here is to avoid forcing the user to
> modify the order of the original GRanges.

With order() the user will still be able to achieve this with something
like:

   regionMeans <- function(regions, cvg)
   {
       seqlevels(regions) <- names(cvg)
       oo <- order(regions)
       regions <- regions[oo]
       ans <- unlist(
                viewMeans(
                  Views(cvg, as(regions, "RangesList"))
                ), use.names=FALSE)
       ans[oo] <- ans  # restore original order
       ans
   }

   values(myRegions)$meanCov <- regionMeans(myRegions, myRleList)

Tricky :-/

But maybe we could provide a "mean" method that accepts 2 args:
a GRanges and an RleList/IntegerList/NumericList. Same with
min, max, sum etc... they would all return a numeric vector of the
same length as their first argument (the GRanges object).

Another approach could be that we make the Views() constructor more
flexible so Views(myRleList, myRegions) would just work and return
a Views object (not a ViewsList) but that means redefining what a
Views object can be (@subject can now be a named List and @ranges
a GRanges object). Maybe a cleaner design would be to use a new
container for this e.g. GViews (for Genomic Views)...

H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791
Fax:    (206) 667-1319