[BioC] backgroundCorrect offset value

Wei Shi shi at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon Aug 29 01:15:48 CEST 2011

Dear Prasad,

The offset added to the data is used to achieve a good balance between precision and bias for the data analysis. The larger offset will give rise to higher precision (smaller variation between replicates), but it will yield larger bias as well (e.g. dampened fold changes). The paper below gives a systematic evaluation on the impact of using different offsets  on the precision, bias and false discovery rate for the Illumina BeadChip data. But it should be useful for other platforms as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20929874

Cheers,
Wei