[BioC] Rsubread package not available? Warning resolved

Noah Dowell noahd at ucla.edu
Thu Dec 8 16:44:37 CET 2011

Dear Wei,

Thanks for your response.  I was going to use Rsubread with a small(ish) data set on a desktop with a little more memory than the standard laptop.  I like the approach behind Rsubread and I wanted to do some comparisons with other aligners on small data sets before making a choice.

Of course I understand as a maintainer you have to make some careful choices where and what to put your effort into.

I should have a server up and running soon (at my new institute; not UCLA) and will consider using Rsubread at that time.

Best,
Noah
On Dec 8, 2011, at 4:41 AM, Robert Castelo wrote:

> [...]
>
> i think you might consider the following three reasons why it would be
> interesting to have Rsubread available in Mac OS X systems:
>
> 1. i've used Rsubread to teach my students about mapping reads without
> leaving the R console by using a small sample of reads (e.g. 1e5, 1e6),
> if eventually one makes a teaching course where students come with
> laptops, a significant fraction of them come now with mac. this could
> apply to all the BioC courses that take place throughout the world :)
>
> 2. apple not only sells laptops but also high-performance computing
> solutions. those users would also benefit of having Rsubread running in
> Mac OS X.
>
> 3. Mac OS X runs on top of a unix system, so it should not be all too
> difficult to have and maintain ANSI C code running in both, a linux and
> a Mac OS X system.
>
> cheers,
> robert.
>
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 21:06 +1100, Wei Shi wrote:
>> Dear Noah,
>>
>> We are still thinking about whether we should make Rsubread available on Mac or Windows
>> laptops. I can certainly see the advantage of doing this. However, this will require
>> considerable amount of work for developing and maintaining it because many functions in
>> the package are written in C language and we are going to include more C functions into
>> the package in the future. Moreover, the read alignment will consume most of the
>> computational resources of a laptop and I do not think you can use your laptop for other
>> work during the period of read mapping. So it might be best to run the read alignment on
>> a server/supercomputer, rather on a laptop.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wei
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2011, at 8:29 AM, NDowell wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Jim.
>>>
>>> Yes, I had to do this a week or so ago with affxparser (and it usually works) but I am getting the error below.
>>>
>>> Dan's quick response that there is not Mac or Windows binary explains the errors.
>>>
>>> My fault for not reading to bottom of the Rsubread page.
>>>
>>> I will have to look elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Sorry for bothering ya'll before reading the complete web page.
>>>
>>> Noah

>>> BioC_mirror: 'http://www.bioconductor.org'
>>> Using R version 2.14, BiocInstaller version 1.2.1.
>>> Installing package(s) 'Rsubread'
>>> trying URL 'http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.9/bioc/src/contrib/Rsubread_1.4.2.tar.gz'
>>> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 21848822 bytes (20.8 Mb)
>>> opened URL
>>> downloaded 20.8 Mb
>>>
>>> * installing *source* package ŒRsubread‚ ...
>>> ** libs
>>> *** arch - i386
>>> gcc-4.2 -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/i386  -I/usr/local/include   -DMAKE_FOR_EXON -fPIC  -g -O2 -c R_wrapper.c -o R_wrapper.o
>>> gcc-4.2 -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/i386  -I/usr/local/include   -DMAKE_FOR_EXON -fPIC  -g -O2 -c aligner.c -o aligner.o
>>> aligner.c:301: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before Œpthread_spinlock_t‚
>>> aligner.c:305: error: expected declaration specifiers or Œ...‚ before Œpthread_spinlock_t‚
>>> aligner.c: In function Œrun_search‚:
>>> aligner.c:349: error: Œinput_lock‚ undeclared (first use in this function)
>>> aligner.c:349: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>>> aligner.c:349: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>> aligner.c:350: warning: implicit declaration of function Œpthread_spin_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:415: warning: implicit declaration of function Œpthread_spin_unlock‚
>>> aligner.c: In function Œrun_search_thread‚:
>>> aligner.c:659: error: Œstruct gene_thread_data_transport‚ has no member named Œinit_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:661: error: Œstruct gene_thread_data_transport‚ has no member named Œinput_data_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:661: error: too many arguments to function Œrun_search‚
>>> aligner.c: In function Œrun_search_index‚:
>>> aligner.c:719: warning: passing argument 11 of Œrun_search‚ makes integer from pointer without a cast
>>> aligner.c:719: error: too many arguments to function Œrun_search‚
>>> aligner.c:725: error: Œpthread_spinlock_t‚ undeclared (first use in this function)
>>> aligner.c:725: error: expected Œ;‚ before Œdata_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:726: error: expected Œ;‚ before Œinit_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:736: error: Œstruct gene_thread_data_transport‚ has no member named Œinput_data_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:736: error: Œdata_lock‚ undeclared (first use in this function)
>>> aligner.c:737: error: Œstruct gene_thread_data_transport‚ has no member named Œinit_lock‚
>>> aligner.c:737: error: Œinit_lock‚ undeclared (first use in this function)
>>> aligner.c:743: warning: implicit declaration of function Œpthread_spin_init‚
>>> aligner.c:755: warning: implicit declaration of function Œpthread_spin_destroy‚
>>> aligner.c: At top level:
>>> gene-algorithms.h:27: warning: inline function Œadd_gene_vote_weighted‚ declared but never defined