[BioC] Unable to install packages

Wed Jul 6 20:38:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Heather Wick <hwick at cs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to perform some data analysis in R using library(affyPLM)
> but I keep getting this error message when I try to use it. For
> example:
>> library(affyPLM)
>> CelData<-ReadAffy(celfile.path="~dbianc01/Lisa/TTTS/")
>> probefit<-fitPLM(CelData)
> Warning in install.packages(cdfname, lib = lib, repos =
> Biobase:::biocReposList(),  :
>  'lib = "/usr/sup/R/lib64/R/library"' is not writable
> Error in install.packages(cdfname, lib = lib, repos =
> Biobase:::biocReposList(),  :
>  unable to install packages

It looks like you don't have privileges to install into /usr/sup/R/*
-- still, there are ways to get it to install into a custom/home
library.

It seems that you need an R_LIBS_USER environment variable set for it
to do so, see:
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Managing-libraries

> I've done this analysis plenty of times with no problem and I can't
> figure out what is going wrong here, since I'm not doing anything
> differently than before. The staff here where I work is unfamiliar
> with R but said the following:
> "affyPLM is already installed.  The library that looks like it's
> trying to update is Biobase, which is also already installed.  (It
> might also be biocReposList, which appears to be part of Biobase, but
> I don't speak R at all, so I don't know how to check to see if that
> function is actually present in Biobase.  But given the name,
> biocReposList looks like some sort of updater, rather than a missing
> function.)

It's actually trying to install a package for the particular array you
are trying to analyze. It looks like the failing R cmd is this one:

install.packages(cdfname, lib = lib,

Where `cdfname` is the name of the package (the CDF is the
"description file" for your array -- not sure if CDF actually xlates
to "chip description file", but that's what it is in spirit).

You already have Biobase, and affyPLM installed ...

> "At a guess, it looks like Biobase is trying to automatically update
> itself, rather than just use the code that's present.  Near as I can
> tell, the version of Biobase we have is 2.8.0, which matches the
> current released version on the Bioconductor web site.  There should
> be no need for it to update.  Do you have some sort of version
> requirement in your code somewhere?  Or is this normal behavior for R,
> to auto-update libraries that don't need it on the fly?  None of us
> are R users, so we don't know what's usual for R.

Just to reiterate if it wasn't clear -- it's not trying to
auto-update, but it's trying to "auto fetch" a package which is the
"description package" for the particular array you are analyzing.

Hope that helps,

-steve