[BioC] PreFiltering probe in microarray analysis

Yuan Hao yuan.x.hao at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:31:48 CEST 2011

Hi Stephanie,

You can have a look the 'genefilter' package in R/bioconductor.
Basically, it's easy to set up a overall variance filter, for example
if you have a data set normalized by gcrma and you require all
probesets having an IQR bigger than 0.5, you can do:

 > library(affy)
 > library(genefilter)
 > library(gcrma)
 > eset <- gcrma(data)
 > f <- function(x)(IQR(x)>0.5)
 > selected <- genefilter (eset, f)
 > eset.filtered <- eset[selected, ]

You may have to be careful about the filtering on your data. It quiet
depends on the characters of your data. There is a paper[1] having had
a very good review about this, which doesn't really recommend an
overall variance filtering combined with Limma.

Cheers,
Yuan

[1] R. Bourgon, R. Gentleman and W. Huber. PNAS 2010. p9546-9551