[BioC] PreFiltering probe in microarray analysis

wxu at msi.umn.edu wxu at msi.umn.edu
Fri Jun 3 16:10:57 CEST 2011

I have seen in this mail list many questions like "after I applied the
multiple test, I got 0 number of differentially expressed gene". The
suggested solution is always the "gene prefiltering".

I disagree with this old idea and proposed a new idea EDR which does not
need gene prefiltering. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20846437
However, the old idea is hard to be shaken because it has been accepted by
people for a long time in microarray and now in RNAseq as well, and the
new idea needs time to be recognized.

Here is an intuitive scenario, we assume that the raw pvalues and the top
lowest-pvalue genes are the same before (35k genes) and after gene
filtering (5k genes), the gene x you selected from 35K versus the one
selected from 5K, which is more sound? In other words, the best student
selected from 1000 students versus the best student selected from 100,
which is more sound?

Wayne