[BioC] removing packages from the workspace - is this ok?

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Jun 8 21:55:20 CEST 2011

Hi Jose, Steve, Tim,

It seems to me that the more general question Jose is asking is how
to unambiguously refer to an object when several objects with the same
name are defined in several packages.

One solution is to use the "fully qualified name" of the object i.e.
to use a <pkgname>:: prefix. For example:

   BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18::Hsapiens
   BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19::Hsapiens

For convenience, this can be combined with Steve's suggested
reassignment to shorter names:

   hg18 <- BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg18::Hsapiens
   hg19 <- BSgenome.Hsapiens.UCSC.hg19::Hsapiens

By using the "fully qualified name", the result of this reassignment
doesn't depend on the order the packages were loaded anymore.

Cheers,
H.

--
Hervé Pagès