[BioC] removing packages from the workspace - is this ok?

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 14:12:36 CEST 2011

Hi Herve,

this indeed was the issue I had, which works perfectly well by
following Steve's suggestion: simply explicitly renaming objects to
ensure one deals with the correct one. The idea of explicitly
indicating the package using the double semicolon had escaped me too,
so thank you for bringing it up.

Another related matter would be: what happens when two packages use
two different functions that are however named identically? I can't
think of any right now, but I remember having come across this at some
point.
I imagine that using the same approach (double semicolon to explicitly
indicate which package teh function is in) will work.

Is there a simple way to check a function name and return which of the
loaded packages have a function with that name? And a list of
functions included in a given package?
This seems to be somewhat basic, but I don't think I've found *one*
place to refer to all these issues. If someone can suggest a good
place to find this information and better understand all the
package/namespace/reference (double semicolon qualifier) nomenclature
& structure, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you everyone for their suggestions.

Jose

Quoting Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org> on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:55:20 -0700:

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6507090

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.