[BioC] BLAST in R

January Weiner january.weiner at mpiib-berlin.mpg.de
Thu Jun 9 14:37:36 CEST 2011

Dear Zoha,

I think the simplest thing to do is to invoke the command line blast
from R, using the option -m 8 to get tabular output that can be
automatically parsed by read.table. Example:

myPipe <- pipe( "blastall -p blastp -i text.fasta -d data.fasta" )
results <- read.table( myPipe )
colnames( blastResults ) <- c( "QueryID",  "SubjectID", "Perc.Ident",
"Alignment.Length", "Mismatches", "Gap.Openings", "Q.start", "Q.end",
"S.start", "S.end", "E", "Bits" )

However, that way you will not get the actual alignments.

Cheers,

j.