[BioC] choosing normalization method for RNA-seq analysis

Biase, Fernando biase at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 19 22:21:39 CET 2011

Hi Dr. Huber,

I believe you are correct in terms of the weakness of the experimental design. Unfortunately, I could not change it. I have 9 biological replicates sequenced for one group and 5 for another. Is there a down side of using DEseq to compare conditions with unbalanced sample number?

One can argue that choosing either one of the normalization factors does not matter because I have about 85% of concordance of the results, but others can easily argue that it matters because of the difference on the results. And to add to the discrepancy on the results, when I analyze the data using one or the other normalization factor, there is a shift on the number of up regulated genes.

For example:
	Genes Up in A 		genes Up in B
RLM        	2953			3322
TMM		3114			2632

I think it may easily affect the biological interpretation.

I appreciated your reply,

Thanks,
Fernando