[BioC] BrainArray custom CDF repository missing in biocReposList()

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu May 5 21:06:55 CEST 2011

Hi Mikki,

First off, please don't hijack other threads. This doesn't have anything
to do with the CDF repository for the MBNI cdfs. When you have a new
question, send a new email to the list.

On 5/5/2011 1:57 PM, M Behnke wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> Has anyone tried to use the updated brainarray files?  I have searched
> the mail lists and this is the most recent thread regarding them, and
> I found no mention of changes in usage anywhere.
>
> I updated to v14.1.0 for hgu133a2hsrefseq and it loads properly:
>
>> library(hgu133a2hsrefseq.db)
>
> Welcome to Bioconductor
>
>    Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
>    'browseVignettes()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
>    'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation("pkgname")'.

> As it states in the instrurctions (and as it has worked before
> updating), I enter the command
> data at cdfName = 'hgu133a2hsrefseqREFSEQ'

I would be interested to know what instructions advise you to do this.
In addition, I would be shocked if this ever actually worked for you
(because it really never should have).

What you want to be doing is

abatch <- ReadAffy(cdfname = "hgu133a2hsrefseq")
data.rma <- rma(abatch)

and proceeding from there.

You might also reconsider using 'data' as a variable name, as data() is
a function from base R, so you are relying on R to divine what you mean
when you type data at an R prompt. It's usually pretty good, but why
take chances?

Best,

Jim

> [...]
> [1] affyio_1.20.0         annotate_1.30.0       Biostrings_2.20.0
> IRanges_1.10.0
> [5] preprocessCore_1.14.0 splines_2.13.0        survival_2.36-9
> tools_2.13.0
> [9] xtable_1.5-6
>

> thanks,
> Mikki
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Marc Carlson<mcarlson at fhcrc.org>  wrote:
>> Hi Diego,
>>
>> Your requests must have been persuasive since the maintainers at MBNI have
>> just updated all of their packages again.  And so there is now a version of
>> these packages available for Bioconductor 2.8 (R 2.13).
>>
>> biocLite() has been updated accordingly and so now you should be able to get
>> these packages in the very latest release of Bioconductor.
>>

>>   Marc
>>

>> On 04/20/2011 08:54 PM, Diego Diez wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marc
>>>
>>> Of course, I understand (and support) the idea behind biocLite() and
>>> that for the bioconductor installation to properly work it is needed
>>> to ensure appropriate version of the packages to be installed. The
>>> problem here is that the custom cdf packages are not - to the best of
>>> my understanding- official bioconductor packages, but the repository
>>> is provided in biocReposList() as a convenience. Therefore the lack of
>>> support for custom cdf packages in this bioconductor version was not
>>> mentioned in the release announcement. It may have been worth
>>> mentioning since this may have a big impact on users.
>>>
>>> Obviously, removing the repository while not suitable packages exists
>>> makes all the sense. However, biocReposList() also provides a
>>> repository for cran, and any package present in cran will be installed
>>> by biocLite() whether it is compatible with the bioconductor version
>>> or not. Even there is a recent thread in the list about an old (non
>>> compatible) version of the graph package present in cran being
>>> installed because the official one was missing in the repositories.
>>> Unfortunately I cannot think on a way to overcome this limitation.
>>> That being said I myself never had a problem using biocLite() on a
>>> number of year of use.
>>>
>>> Two additional comments:
>>>
>>> - The help page for biocReposList() might be a bit old since it lists
>>> two repositories not presently found:
>>> -----------
>>> oh : URL for Bioc Omegahat package repository.  This repository
>>>            contains the versions of Omegahat packages that were tested
>>>            with the current Bioc release.
>>>
>>> li : URL for Bioc Lindsey package repository.
>>> ------------
>>>
>>> whereas the repository "extra" is missing.
>>>
>>> - The cran repository is forced to be "http://cran.fhcrc.org".
>>> Wouldn't be better to try to get the default CRAN repository selected
>>> by the user in case that option is set?
>>>

>>> Anyway, to finish this lengthy email just let you know that I
>>> contacted the custom cdf people and they are working on providing

James W. MacDonald, M.S.
Biostatistician
Douglas Lab
University of Michigan