[BioC] BrainArray custom CDF repository missing in biocReposList()

M Behnke mkbehnke at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:57:21 CEST 2011

Hello group,

Has anyone tried to use the updated brainarray files?  I have searched
the mail lists and this is the most recent thread regarding them, and
I found no mention of changes in usage anywhere.

I updated to v14.1.0 for hgu133a2hsrefseq and it loads properly:

> library(hgu133a2hsrefseq.db)

Welcome to Bioconductor

  Vignettes contain introductory material. To view, type
  'browseVignettes()'. To cite Bioconductor, see
  'citation("Biobase")' and for packages 'citation("pkgname")'.

As it states in the instrurctions (and as it has worked before
updating), I enter the command
data at cdfName = 'hgu133a2hsrefseqREFSEQ'

But I get an error when attempting to do rma:
> data.rma=rma(data)
Error in getCdfInfo(object) :
  Could not obtain CDF environment, problems encountered:
Specified environment does not contain hgu133a2hsrefseqREFSEQ
Library - package hgu133a2hsrefseqrefseqcdf not installed
Bioconductor - hgu133a2hsrefseqrefseqcdf not available

This code has worked flawlessly before so I am not sure what is going
on as it appears to have installed and loaded properly!!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is my session info:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
 [1] simpleaffy_2.28.0          gcrma_2.24.1
genefilter_1.34.0
 [4] affy_1.30.0                hgu133a2hsrefseq.db_14.1.0
org.Hs.eg.db_2.5.0
 [7] RSQLite_0.9-4              DBI_0.2-5
AnnotationDbi_1.14.1
[10] Biobase_2.12.1

[1] affyio_1.20.0         annotate_1.30.0       Biostrings_2.20.0
IRanges_1.10.0
[5] preprocessCore_1.14.0 splines_2.13.0        survival_2.36-9
tools_2.13.0
[9] xtable_1.5-6

thanks,
Mikki

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Marc Carlson <mcarlson at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> [...]
> just updated all of their packages again.  And so there is now a version of
> these packages available for Bioconductor 2.8 (R 2.13).
>
> biocLite() has been updated accordingly and so now you should be able to get
> these packages in the very latest release of Bioconductor.
>

>  Marc
>

> On 04/20/2011 08:54 PM, Diego Diez wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marc
>>
>> Of course, I understand (and support) the idea behind biocLite() and
>> that for the bioconductor installation to properly work it is needed
>> to ensure appropriate version of the packages to be installed. The
>> problem here is that the custom cdf packages are not - to the best of
>> my understanding- official bioconductor packages, but the repository
>> is provided in biocReposList() as a convenience. Therefore the lack of
>> support for custom cdf packages in this bioconductor version was not
>> mentioned in the release announcement. It may have been worth
>> mentioning since this may have a big impact on users.
>>
>> Obviously, removing the repository while not suitable packages exists
>> makes all the sense. However, biocReposList() also provides a
>> repository for cran, and any package present in cran will be installed
>> by biocLite() whether it is compatible with the bioconductor version
>> or not. Even there is a recent thread in the list about an old (non
>> compatible) version of the graph package present in cran being
>> installed because the official one was missing in the repositories.
>> Unfortunately I cannot think on a way to overcome this limitation.
>> That being said I myself never had a problem using biocLite() on a
>> number of year of use.
>>
>> Two additional comments:
>>
>> - The help page for biocReposList() might be a bit old since it lists
>> two repositories not presently found:
>> -----------
>> oh : URL for Bioc Omegahat package repository.  This repository
>>           contains the versions of Omegahat packages that were tested
>>           with the current Bioc release.
>>
>> li : URL for Bioc Lindsey package repository.
>> ------------
>>
>> whereas the repository "extra" is missing.
>>
>> - The cran repository is forced to be "http://cran.fhcrc.org".
>> Wouldn't be better to try to get the default CRAN repository selected
>> by the user in case that option is set?
>>

>> Anyway, to finish this lengthy email just let you know that I
>> contacted the custom cdf people and they are working on providing
>> packages for bioconductor 2.8 soon!
>>
>> Diego
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM, Marc Carlson<mcarlson at fhcrc.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Diego,
>>>
>>> You can always throw caution to the wind and just forcibly install any
>>> tarball (if downloaded manually).  Although that would be taking matters
>>> into your own hands, and you would obviously have to live with any of the
>>> consequences that might result.
>>>
>>> But you should *not* normally be able to get these package using
>>> if there is not an appropriate version available.  This is because
>>> correct
>>> version matching is part of what people depend on when using biocLite().
>>>  And in this case the problem is indeed because of the issue that you
>>> mentioned.  The .db packages would have been built using sources
>>> appropriate
>>> for the Bioc 2.7 and so if you installed them with Bioc 2.8, the GO and