[BioC] RNA-Seq/edgeR reproducability between lanes

Mark Robinson mrobinson at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu May 12 01:04:20 CEST 2011

Hi Lana,

On May 12, 2011, at 2:38 AM, Lana Schaffer wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to state the reproducibility between sequence lanes for RNA-Seq.
> I don't think that I can print out a normalized set of count data using TMM but
> Just the normalization scale factors?

Well, you can do it manually, something like:

normvals <- t( t(counts) / (lib.size*norm.factor) ) * 1e6

... (1e6 makes it reads per million)

>  How can I print out the 75th percentile scaled
> Values?

Similarly:

p75 <- apply(counts,2,quantile,p=.75)
normvals <- t( t(counts) / p75 )

> If I calculate this 75%-ile counts and then calculate the SD?
> Would it be best to us the common dispersion values?

Yes, common dispersion is a good reflection of variation between samples/lanes.  For tech reps that I've seen, common dispersion is low (e.g. less than 0.01).  You may even consider a (Spearman rank) correlation coefficient?

Hope that helps.

Mark

> Lana Schaffer
> Biostatistics, Informatics