[BioC] Any changes in Biomart regarding GO terms? Script crashing today

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Fri May 13 18:16:30 CEST 2011

Hi Steffen,

thank you for your fast reply. Indeed, after I posted my message I
looked into the attributes and found that there are "generic" GO
attributes (although their description included a "(bp)" which at
first I took to mean they referred to "biological process" and I was
looking for the (mf) and (cc) counterparts...

but then noticed the "namespace_1003" attribute, and this one returns
BP, MF or CC... so yes indeed, they've all been merged and you have to
use the namespace attribute if you want to extract cc, bp, mf info.

I didn't know how to connect to archived versions, so that's very
useful, thank you! It means I can quickly adapt the old scripts to
continue working straightway and I'll fix them properly when I have
time.

Thank you!

regards,

Jose

Quoting Steffen Durinck <durinck.steffen at gene.com> on Fri, 13 May 2011
08:29:07 -0700:

> Hi Jose,
>
> It looks like the Ensembl BioMart recently got updated to version 62
> and this included some changes in the attributes.
>
>> mart=useMart('ensembl',dataset='hsapiens_gene_ensembl')
>> att = listAttributes(mart)
>> att[grep('go',att[,1]),]
>                                                     name
> 24                                                 go_id
> 27                                       go_linkage_type
>
> Possibly the three go ontologies are now combined in only one
> attribute go_id?
> If you check the release notes of Ensembl 62
> (http://www.ensembl.org/info/website/news/index.html)
>  you'll see:
>
> 'Gene Ontology Filter and Attribute section has been modified and all
> three domains have now been merged into one'
>

> If needed you can always connect to the previous Ensembl version using:
>
>> ensembl61=useMart('ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL',dataset='hsapiens_gene_ensembl',
>> host='feb2011.archive.ensembl.org')
>> att = listAttributes(ensembl61)
>> att[grep('go',att[,1]),]
>                                                     name
> 24                              go_biological_process_id
> 27                    go_biological_process_linkage_type
> 28                              go_cellular_component_id
> 29                   go_cellular_component__dm_name_1006
> 30             go_cellular_component__dm_definition_1006
> 31                    go_cellular_component_linkage_type
> 32                              go_molecular_function_id
> 33                   go_molecular_function__dm_name_1006
> 34             go_molecular_function__dm_definition_1006
> 35                    go_molecular_function_linkage_type
>

> Cheers,
> Steffen
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM,  <J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I am unable to run a script I have been using quite happily in the past, so
>> I suspect a change in the "outside world", but I can't find any news about
>> it.
>>
>> It appears that the usual attributes for GO terms and IDs (CC, BP and MF)
>> are not available. (?)
>>
>> If you try this quick example:
>>
>> library(biomaRt)
>> ensembl=useMart("ensembl")
>> dataset="hsapiens_gene_ensembl"
>> ensembl=useDataset(dataset, mart=ensembl)
>>
>> attributes=c("entrezgene",
>>             "go_cellular_component_id",
>>             "go_cellular_component__dm_name_1006")
>>
>> getBM(attributes=attributes,
>>      filters="entrezgene",
>>      values=1, mart=ensembl)
>>
>> It fails with the error:
>>
>> Error in getBM(attributes = attributes, filters = "entrezgene", values = 1,
>>  :
>>  Invalid attribute(s): go_cellular_component_id,
>> go_cellular_component__dm_name_1006
>> Please use the function 'listAttributes' to get valid attribute names
>>
>> and if you list the attributes...
>>
>> listAttributes(ensembl)
>>
>> you can see they're indeed not listed...

> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.