[BioC] about limma linear models

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu May 19 05:13:58 CEST 2011

Dear Gang Jiang,

You say that each biological sample has two "biological" replicates.
This isn't how I would put it, and I assume we have a conflict of
terminology here.  I am going to assume that your experiment actually has
two or three technical replicates (repeat hybridizations) of each of your
five biological samples.  I'm going to assume that BI and BI2 are
independent biological samples from the same population, as are BM and
BM2.

Your experimental design doesn't lend itself to a fully satisfactory
analysis.  This is best I can come up with:

First, redefine your targets frame to be:

  Cy3 Cy5 Replicate
   BI  BM     1
   BM  BI     1
   BI  BM     2
   BM  BI     2
   BE  BM     3
   BM  BE     3

Then define a design matrix:

   design <- modelMatrix(targets,ref="BM")
   design <- dbind(Dye=1,design)

Then estimate the correlation between technical dye-swaps:

   cor <- duplicateCorrelation(y,design,block=targets$Replicate)

Then fit your linear model:

   fit <-
lmFit(y,design,block=targets$Replicate,correlation=cor$consensus.correlation)
   fit <- eBayes(fit)

Finally, compare BI to BM:

   topTable(fit,coef="BI")

or compare BE to BM:

   topTable(fit,coef="BE")

This analysis is not perfect, because it treats the last two occurences of
BM as an independent biological sample, whereas they are actually repeats
of BM2.  But it is the best I can come up with.  It should be good enough
for most purposes, and it's better than other things you might do.

Best wishes
Gordon