[BioC] Variance stabilization of m-values

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Sat Aug 4 00:32:06 CEST 2012

Dear Gustavo

the two issues:
- whether filtering of probes by overall variance is admissible and
helpful for your analysis
- whether the variance depends on the mean
are unrelated. If I understand your question correctly (and I am not
sure I do), then you should filter on the overall variance of the M
values, and need not worry about the mean-variance relationship.

Can you check the paper on this topic ("Independent filtering increases
detection power for high-throughput experiments",
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/21/9546.long) and get back if it is
still unclear?

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

Aug/3/12 1:19 AM, Gordon K Smyth scripsit::