[BioC] Variance stabilization of m-values

Gustavo Fernández Bayón gbayon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:12:11 CEST 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

First of all, I apologize for the late reply. As I have answered in a previous mail, there have been major reasons that have kept me away from the e-mail.

---------------------------
Enviado con Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)

El sábado 4 de agosto de 2012 a las 00:32, Wolfgang Huber escribió:

> Dear Gustavo
>
> the two issues:
> - whether filtering of probes by overall variance is admissible and
> helpful for your analysis
> - whether the variance depends on the mean
> are unrelated. If I understand your question correctly (and I am not
> sure I do), then you should filter on the overall variance of the M
> values, and need not worry about the mean-variance relationship.

I was thinking about that, when I noticed that the curve showing that relationship really had nearly no influence on a filtering of that kind. I.e., if I want to get rid of those probes whose variance is low, those are quite homogenous in the graph behavior. Well, I should have to re-think this, as I currently have to re-create the pipeline.

> Can you check the paper on this topic ("Independent filtering increases
> detection power for high-throughput experiments",
> http://www.pnas.org/content/107/21/9546.long) and get back if it is
> still unclear?

I'll give it a read. Thank you very much for the link.

> Best wishes
> Wolfgang

Thank you, as always, for your interesting hints and references.

Regards,
Gus