[BioC] Problem with addGeneIDs and org.Sc.sgd.db

Susan Wilson smwilson at hpc.unm.edu
Fri Aug 17 19:14:48 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm following the chip-seq tutorial at
http://evop.bioinf.uni-leipzig.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/chipseq_tutorial.html,
and trying to do it in parallel with some actual data I have from yeast.
When I try to run addGeneIDs using the org.Sc.sgd.db annotation
database, I get the following:

 > tss_annotated_Peaks.symbol=addGeneIDs(tss_annotated_Peaks,
"org.Sc.sgd.db", c("symbol", "genename"))
Error: Annotation database must be *.eg.db

I can't find any hits on google with anyone else trying to do this. Can
anybody make any suggestions? I can see that the source for addGeneIDs
does indeed require the name of the database to be *.eg.db. Is
org.Sc.sgd.db simply not in a correct format, and therefore deliberately
not named *.eg.db? Or is there a way to rename or alias the database so
the addGeneIDs will process it?

Thanks.
Susan