[BioC] limma - special case of contrasting

Ryan C. Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Sun Dec 9 20:14:58 CET 2012

Assuming that your design matrix has columns C1.A, C2.A, C1.B, and
C2.B, wouldn't the contrast simply be "C1.A - (C1.B+C2.A+C2.B)/3"? I.e.
"C1.A minus mean of everything else". If your design matrix has an
intercept column, it might be a little trickier to define that
contrast, but still possible. You might just want to redo your design
matrix to have the above columns and no intercept by doing "design <-
model.matrix(~0 + celltype * treatment + donor, data=targets)", as
recommended in the user's guide.

I think this gives you what you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
-Ryan