[BioC] Two populations on microarray

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 14 23:48:22 CET 2012

Dear Ben,

Are you saying that you have deliberately designed two different
populations of probes onto your arrays?

Your MA-plot suggests that there is substantial body of spots on the array
for which the green channel has failed, hence the 45-degree line at the
top of the plot.  These dots likely represent spots with a normal red
channel value but close to zero for green.  Normally this would have a
technical rather than biological cause.  An imageplot may help you
identify where the offending spots are on your array.

On the other hand, if you have deliberately spotted your arrays with two
quite different populations of probes, then they probably need to be
analysed as separate arrays.

Best wishes
Gordon