[BioC] Two populations on microarray

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:56:45 CET 2012

Dear Ben,
A typical MA plot has most of the points scattered around the line
M=0.  Even if you have 2 populations of probes, the nondifferentially
expressing genes should be in that central ellipse.  (The lower
cluster does look somewhat like the typical MA plot for raw data.)  I
suggest that you do separate MA plots for each population of probes,
to see if one set of probes failed.  Or, as Gordon suggests, a
population for which labelling failed.

--Naomi