[BioC] How to prepare Custom INPUT(DATA) files for GAGE Analysis and DO a BASIC GAGE analysis using those files

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Fri Jan 20 02:54:06 CET 2012

Hi Jung,

Thank you for sending your files but there is no need to attach the
source files from the gage package (GAGE.r, gage.pdf). I have access to
those files.

The package vignette is just intended to be an example. Clearly the data
in the package and your data will be very different. It does not make
sense to try to follow the code exactly "as is" when using your data.
For example, it doesn't make sense for you to grep for 'HN', 'ADH' and
'DCIS' since they don't exist in your file. These are treatment groups
included in the gage sample data and have no bearing on your analysis.
This is why you see nothing (i.e., integer(0)) for these variables.

 > Micro_array_dataset <- read.table("Micro_array_dataset.txt")
 > cn=colnames(Micro_array_dataset)
 > hn=grep('HN',cn, ignore.case =T)
 > adh=grep('ADH',cn, ignore.case =T)
 > dcis=grep('DCIS',cn, ignore.case =T)
 > print(hn)
integer(0)
 > print(dcis)
integer(0)

This error is due to the fact that you are subsetting a data.frame and
have not specified the columns. In the vignette, the gene set is a list
so this subsetting works.

 > lapply(Gene_set[1:3],head)
Error in `[.data.frame`(Gene_set, 1:3) : undefined columns selected

Next, your genes need to be grouped by pathway. The idea is to do an
analysis of gene pathways so you need to provide a list of genes grouped
by pathway (like the kegg.gs or go.gs example files in the vignette).
Your gene file consists only of gene names,

 > head(rownames(Micro_array_dataset))
[1] "ENSG00000000003" "ENSG00000000005" "ENSG00000000419" "ENSG00000000457"
[5] "ENSG00000000460" "ENSG00000000938"

In R, a list of genes grouped by pathway would look like something like
this,
 > head(kegg.gs)
$`hsa00010 Glycolysis / Gluconeogenesis`
  [1] "10327"  "124"    "125"    "126"    "127"    "128"    "130"
"130589"
  [9] "131"    "160287" "1737"   "1738"   "2023"   "2026"   "2027"   "217"

$`hsa00020 Citrate cycle (TCA cycle)`
  [1] "1431"   "1737"   "1738"   "1743"   "2271"   "283398" "3417"   "3418"
  [9] "3419"   "3420"   "3421"   "4190"   "4191"   "47"     "48"     "4967"

You need to identify what pathways you are interested and group the
genes by those pathways. For identifying pathways take a look at the
GO.db, KEGG.db or reactome.db. Mapping between gene identifiers can be
done with the org.*.db packages.

     http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/annotation/

Some general background on using Bioconductor annotation data is here,

http://www.bioconductor.org/help/workflows/annotation-data/#annotation-resources

Valerie