[BioC] problems reading fcs files / flowcore / read.fcs (David Corne)

Finak, Greg gfinak at fhcrc.org
Thu Jul 12 16:45:00 CEST 2012

Hi, David
In 2.15 there were some changes to the FCS file reading routine to make it compliant with the FCS file standards (it was not compliant prior to 2.15, and led to other errors). Unforunately, the result was that FCS reading was broken (inadvertently) for files from instruments where the manufacturers were not following the standard (apparently there are a lot of manufacturers that don't bother to implement the standard correctly). We're working on correcting these errors as we get bug reports.

That said, it's next to impossible to help you out if you don't provide us with some more information.. i.e. provide a reproducible example,  sessioninfo(), the error message produced, and even an example of an FCS file where read.FCS fails.

We want to fix these issues for users, and we understand that having software suddenly break when it was fine one version ago can be frustrating, but complaining into thin air is not really productive for anyone.

Best,

Greg Finak, PhD
Staff Scientist
Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division