[BioC] edgeR outlier question

alessandro.guffanti at genomnia.com alessandro.guffanti at genomnia.com
Tue May 8 14:35:36 CEST 2012

Hi - actually this problem pops out even with as low as two replicates,
and I would
tend to attribute it to a technical feature of NGS (at least the ones in
which there is
an em-PCR step such as 454 and SOLiD) - which is over-amplification of a
certain
sequence set in a single sample. And this could be called shot noise I
guess .. I sqw
it both in SAGE and miRNA sequencing in multiple samples.

I agree of course in principle on not throwing away genes for what
happens sporadically in
one sample. However, in my experience these 'read shots' always happens
in the very grey area
of few reads per samples, and if you reason in cpm this will be the area
of less than 10 count
per millions - I don't know it this is the same situation for you

So, these are genes usually located in the area where biological
variance is well hidden below
technical variance.  I guess that these will not be your most
significant findings and the solution of
reasoning with edgeR in terms of cmp for the threshold selection -
rather than read counts even
in normalized libraries - worked nicely for my miRNAs when I went back
to MDS plots to explore
the situation...

This is only my experience, though, so I would be interested to know if
this 'read shot noise' happens also
in areas where there are large counts

Regards,

Alessandro

--

Alessandro Guffanti - Head, Bioinformatics, Genomnia srl
  Via Nerviano, 31 - 20020 Lainate, Milano, Italy

Il Contenuto del presente messaggio potrebbe contenere informazioni confidenziali a favore dei
soli destinatari del messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate per errore questo messaggio siete pregati
di cancellarlo dalla memoria del computer e di contattare i numeri sopra indicati. Ogni utilizzo o
ritrasmissione dei contenuti del messaggio da parte di soggetti diversi dai destinatari è da
considerarsi vietato ed abusivo.

The information transmitted is intended only for the per...{{dropped:12}}