[BioC] edgeR outlier question

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Tue May 8 16:36:45 CEST 2012

Dear Simon,

the problem that such outliers occur has nothing to do with the number
of replicates (as Alessandro also points out below; and I did not imply
that in my post). However, the potential solutions to the problem have a
lot to do with it.

1. With very many replicates, in principle you don't need to make any
parametric assumptions, and you could just use a permutation or rank
based method.

2. With an intermediate number of replicates, you could use a highly
flexible family of distributions, such as Poisson-Tweedie (PT, suggested
by Robert Castelo). For this, you need to fit 3 parameters per gene. In
the tweeDESeq vignette, they look at RNA-Seq data from 69 HapMap
individuals.

3. The Negative Binomial (NB) distribution (used in edgeR and DESeq) is
a special case of PT, with 2 parameters per gene. Less replicates are
sufficient to determine these (e.g. sharingMode = "gene-est-only"  in
DESeq's estimateDispersions).

4. With few replicates (say, 2 vs 2), even two parameters per gene are
too many to fit reliably. For these instances, 'information sharing'
across genes is used, either assuming a common dispersion, or a
mean-dependent one. In the extreme case, you end up with essentially 1
parameter per gene (e.g. sharingMode = "fit-only" in DESeq's
estimateDispersions).

5. An intermediate solution, that can be thought of as using somewhere
between 1 and 2 parameters per gene, is the shrinkage approach used by
edgeR, or sharingMode = "maximum" in DESeq, which we find to work well.

I hope this overview helps. The current instances of software require
you to select your analysis strategy between these 5 options manually.
It would be interesting to see if that can be (or should be?) automated.

PS In addition to the above, one can go back to the robust statistics
textbook, stay with simple parametric distributions, but remove or
down-weigh outlier data points (not necessarily the whole gene).

	Best wishes
	Wolfgang

alessandro.guffanti at genomnia.com scripsit 05/08/2012 02:35 PM:

--