[BioC] Experimental design with edgeR and DESeq packages (RNA-seq)

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Nov 17 07:42:27 CET 2012

> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:09:10 +0100
> From: Yvan Wenger <yvan.wenger at unige.ch>
> To: bioconductor at r-project.org
> Subject: [BioC] Experimental design with edgeR and DESeq packages (RNA-seq)
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I just started using edgeR and DESeq and am looking for a confirmation
> that I am not doing a silly thing.
>
> Basically, we have 7 conditions and for only 2 of these sample we have
> biological triplicates. Let us say that the samples are "A", "A", "A",
> "B", "C" (most of the genes are NOT regulated in my experiment).
> Finally, let us say we just want to compare "B" to "C", but using all
> the information available. Can we use all the dataset for estimating the
> common and tagwise dispersion? Typically using the commands (note that I
> compare here "B" to "C", thus samples without replicates).
>
> edgeR:
> countTable=read.table('mytable',header=F,row.names=1) ; dge <-
> DGEList(counts=countTable,group=c("A","A","A,"B","C")) ; dge <-
> calcNormFactors(dge) ; dge <- estimateCommonDisp(dge) ; dge <-
> estimateTagwiseDisp(dge) ; et <- exactTest(dge, pair=c("B","C"))

Yes, this is a perfectly standard analysis.  edgeR estimates the genewise
dispersion values from the three replicates for Group A and uses these
dispersions even though you are comparing B to C.

The assumption here is obviously that A, B and C are similar populations,
so that genes with higher biological coefficient of variation (BCV) in
condition A also tend to have higher BCV in conditions B and C as well.

Gordon