[BioC] DEseq version and R version compatibility

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Thu Oct 4 16:50:40 CEST 2012

Hej José!

Start R, load the DESeq library and type in:

vignette("DESeq")

that will get you the PDF version of the manual corresponding to your installed version.

Cheers,

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support

European Molecular Biology Laboratory

Tel: +49 6221 387 8310
Email: nicolas.delhomme at embl.de
Meyerhofstrasse 1 - Postfach 10.2209
69102 Heidelberg, Germany

On Oct 4, 2012, at 4:42 PM, José Luis Lavín wrote:

> Thank you everybody for your advice and opinions. I just wanted to be able
> to analyze my DE data and since I couldn't change R versions due to issues
> beyond my grasp...
> So, since I've the current R version in windows, I'll try to follow the
> newest manual commands there.
> ¿May any of you tell me which is the last version of  DEseq manual?
> I'll keep up trying to make DEseq work, since I believe it's the tool of
> choice for my work unless any of you may tell me about a different one that
> could be easier to use without losing DEseq superb analysis capabilities.
>
> Thank you again for your time and attention.
>
> With best wishes
>
> JL
>
> 2012/10/4 Sean Davis <sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov>
>
>> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM, José Luis Lavín <jluis.lavin at unavarra.es>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello Sean,
>>>
>>> The main problem with updating the R version of the servers is that I'm
>> not
>>> the SysAdmin, and he told me that they couldn't update it at the moment
>>> because they have some processes and pipelines that need the old R
>> version
>>> (2.13), so he can't update it (weird, isn't it?). That's why I was
>> looking
>>> for such strange compatibility...
>>> Anyway, due to my current low level on R scripting, when I come across a
>>> command that isn't functional I don't really know what to do but trying
>>> use another manual version hoping the code there will fix it...but I've
>> had
>>> no luck with that at the moment. That's why I asked about this.
>>> I'll keep trying to make DEseq work, but I begin to feel stupid, reading
>>> everybody seems to be able to run it except myself.
>>
>> If you have a good relationship with your sysadmin, ask him/her to
>> help you to install R in your home directory.  This is not hard to do
>> (hopefully, for a sysadmin) and will allow you to run a different
>> version of R than that already installed on the system.  Really, doing
>> this will be much better than copying code from various versions of
>> packages to "just make it work".
>>
>> Sean
>>

>>> Thank you for your swift answer, anyway
>>>
>>> Best wishes